© 2022 Michigan State University Board of Trustees
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Battle Creek Couple Dies From Carbon Monoxide; Infant Survives

Police Lights
publicdomainpictures
/

Two people running a generator and kerosene heater in a Michigan house without power died from exposure to carbon monoxide, but their 5-month-old son survived, police said Wednesday. "The only explanation is that it's by God's grace that this child survived," said Battle Creek Det. Sgt. Todd Elliott, who called it "amazing."

The victims were a 20-year-old man and a 19-year-old woman. Elliott told the Battle Creek Enquirer that they were helping a contractor work on the house Tuesday and spent the night on an air mattress. The house doesn't have electricity, heat or water.

Elliott said the contractor was assured by the couple that someone had planned to pick them up Tuesday.

"We don't know why they chose to stay there," Elliott said.

The baby was responsive and breathing when emergency responders arrived Wednesday. He was being treated at a hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning.

"It appears to be just a terrible accident," Elliott said.

Carbon monoxide is a gas that is colorless, odorless and tasteless. It can be fatal because it displaces oxygen.

Elliott said carbon monoxide levels on the first floor of the house were measured at 700 parts per million. Consistent exposure at 150 ppm or higher can cause death, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission .

WKAR News coverage is made possible by supporters who value fact-based journalism. During the Fall Radio Fundraiser, you can help ensure more trustworthy reporting all year long for as little as $7 a month. DONATE NOW to do your part now to fund more local and national stories. Thank you.