Yes, you read that right. Noodles. Last week you heard science writer Sheril Kirshenbaum make Posole. This week, WKAR's Karel Vega tries his hand at a classic jewish dessert made with cottage cheese and noodles. In part 2 of their recipe exchange, Karel steps outside of his comfort zone, and finds himself pleasantly surprised with the results.
Kugel Recipe via Smitten Kitchen
- 1 pound wide egg noodles
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 pounds full-fat cottage cheese, creamed or large curd
- 2 sticks (1 cup or 8 ounces) melted unsalted butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Dash of salt
- Preheat oven, and parboil noodles (5-7 minutes)
- In a very large bowl beat eggs until fluffy. Add the sugar gradually, then the cottage cheese, margarine or butter and vanilla. Stir in the drained noodles.
- Pour into a 9×13-inch pan. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until kugel is set.