Michigan State University
College of Communication Arts & Sciences
Professional Aide, Temporary fixed-term
The College of Communication Arts & Sciences is seeking a highly motivated and outgoing individual to serve as an Office Generalist. The chosen candidate will report to the Human Resources Director and will serve within the functional staff structure of the college. He/she will work closely with department administrators, college leadership, faculty, and multiple staff teams in the areas of HR/Payroll, academic program support and general office support. The selected candidate will have the unique opportunity of working across multiple units of the college on the most pressing needs and priorities. The ideal candidate will have academic unit experience in all functions (HR/Payroll, academic program support, general office support), and will be flexible, creative, a self-starter, a team player, proactive, a quick learner, enthusiastic, and will have strong interpersonal skills.
Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
- Availability to work from 8am-5pm;
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively with a team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, face-to-face, on the phone and online;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to write and draft written material, such as office memos, online posts, and correspondence in an accurate and engaging manner;
- Ability to recognize needs and willingness to take on responsibilities necessary to ensure the effective operation of the college;
- Experience and ability to work with computing and related Internet applications, including Microsoft Office applications, and new applications that can be of value to performing outreach;
- Conscientious in following basic health and safety and other rules and regulations of the University, College, and Departments.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- One year of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in word processing, spreadsheet, databased, calendaring and/or presentation software; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Evidence of ability to communicate effectively, such as in writing samples, letters of reference, and during the interview.
- Evidence of effective personnel interaction when working with people with diverse backgrounds and skill sets;
How to Apply:
Submit the following materials to Teresia Hagelberger (firstname.lastname@example.org) by October 30, 2015:
- Cover letter and detailed resume.
- Names and contact information, including email addresses, for at least three references.
MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.