© 2024 Michigan State University Board of Trustees
Public Media from Michigan State University
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

MSU closing Berkey Hall for the semester, police offer more details about gunman

Chris Rozman, in a police uniform, speaks into a podium filled with microphones.
Michelle Jokisch-Polo
MSU Police Interim Deputy Chief Chris Rozman addresses media at a Thursday morning press conference.

Michigan State University plans to return to classes on Monday, nearly a week after a gunman shot and killed three students and wounded five.

One of those students hospitalized is stable, while four others remain in critical condition.

Thousands attended a campus vigilWednesday night. Now, university officials are still evaluating how the rest of the semester will play out.

During a press conference Thursday morning, MSU Interim President Teresa Woodruff said the university doesn’t immediately plan to reopen one of the buildings where two of the students died.

“Berkey remains closed for the remainder of the semester. The second building, the Union, is still being evaluated for decisions to be reported later,” Woodruff said.

The FBI is continuing to work with students and faculty whose belongings were left at the building the night of the shooting. Everything that doesn't get collected will go into MSU Police custody to be distributed back to its owners.

Woodruff also said the university is considering whether to offer to move classes online or offer hybrid learning options for the remainder of the semester.

A student-led petition urging the university to move classes online in some capacity had gathered more than 10,000 signatures as of Thursday afternoon.

 MSU Board of Trustees Chair Reema Vassar looks down while speaking into a dozen microphones on a podium
Michelle Jokisch Polo
MSU Board of Trustees Chair Reema Vassar shared her daughter sheltered in place for three hours in a bathroom while police investigated the shooting Monday.

Police in Michigan are also sharing more about what they know of the gunman responsible for the shooting.

Anthony McRae died by suicide after leaving campus and encountering officers with the Lansing Police Department Monday night.

Police found him with multiple guns and several loaded magazines. The guns used in the shooting were purchased legally, but not registered.

At the press conference, FBI Special Agent Jim Tarasca said the 43-year-old McRae acted alone.

“Found on McRae were two hand guns, the one he shot himself with and another in his backpack that he was carrying. He also had a loaded magazine that was full to capacity in his left breast pocket. In the backpack, he had eight loaded magazines of nine millimeter ammunition," he said.

Tarasca said investigators also found a note on McRae that detailed plans to attack other places, including a school district in New Jersey, where he once lived.

As WKAR's Bilingual Latinx Stories Reporter, Michelle reports in both English and Spanish on stories affecting Michigan's Latinx community.
Journalism at this station is made possible by donors who value local reporting. Donate today to keep stories like this one coming. It is thanks to your generosity that we can keep this content free and accessible for everyone. Thanks!