© 2022 Michigan State University Board of Trustees
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Stockbridge Schools Reopen After Threat

Police Lights
publicdomainpictures
/

Administrators at  Stockbridge Community Schools saids schools are back on Friday after a threat. But the student who made the threat will not be allowed back in class.

On its Facebook page, the district said at least one student confessed to making a threat of gun violence at junior/senior high school earlier this week.

The threat led to all classes being canceled in the district on Thursday.

The district said the student confessed to making the threat.

They are suspended from school and could face charges. 

Online threat closes 3 schools in mid-Michigan for 2 days

The threat through the Stockbridge Community Schools' technology department involved Stockbridge Junior/Senior High School. Superintendent Karl Heidrich says the message implying a threat of gun violence was reported Tuesday to police. The district's schools were closed Wednesday and Thursday.

Police Chief Johnnie Torres says that an investigation led them to one student. Eventually, he says, another student — a 14-year-old boy — confessed Thursday. The school district says both students have been suspended and are banned from school property.

Torres says investigators don't think the boy had access to weapons.

Classes were resuming on Friday.

The Ingham County prosecutor's office is handling the case and charges were expected.

News from WKAR will never be behind a paywall. Ever. We need your help to keep our coverage free for everyone. Please consider supporting the news you rely on with a donation today. You can support our journalism for as little as $5. Every contribution, no matter the size, propels our vital coverage. Thank you.