Job Posting 571671: WKAR-AM/FM/TV - Corporate Support Director
WKAR-AM/FM/TV - Corporate Support Director
College of Communciation Arts and Sciences
Michigan State University
WKAR is seeking a Corporate Support Director to manage the corporate underwriting portion of our fundraising program. The successful candidate will participate as a collaborative member of the Broadcasting Services/WKAR development team to build annual support from corporations, generating operating funds through the sale of underwriting mentions, web and promotional opportunities to reach personal and departmental revenue goals. You will be responsible for the renewal of existing contracts and prospecting for new underwriters, providing leadership to the Corporate Support Coordinator, establishing underwriting packages, setting underwriting rates, ensuring compliance with FCC regulations, and ensuring proper integration of underwriting within the ProTrack traffic system and with the Traffic department.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated creativity.
- Superb writing and presentation/public speaking skills and keen ability to relate to and build rapport with new and existing corporate clients.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to think and act strategically.
- Advertising or marketing sales experience in commercial media, public broadcasting, non-profit organization or higher education setting a plus.
- Underwriting Sales: Manage a personal portfolio of underwriting clients and participates in all aspects of underwriting sales; constantly seeking new methods to increase revenue and decrease expenses; participate in business events such as Chamber of Commerce meetings, mixers, etc.; enlists the involvement WKAR staff, the General Manager and others as necessary to meet underwriting goals.
- Management of Overall Underwriting Program: Draft and finalize underwriting agreements including schedules and costs; ensures WKAR's Underwriting Policy, FCC regulations, and any other pertinent policies, are followed, with a special emphasis on the acceptable wording of underwriting credits; identify underwriting opportunities that are unique and that benefit the underwriter and WKAR in new and interesting ways.
- Systems: Utilize the ProTrack traffic software for entering and scheduling underwriting contracts; maintain systems in support of advancement for WKAR/MSU.
- Supervise/Manage/Train/Mentor: Direct the recruitment, training and development of underwriting sales staff consistent with WKAR's values; lead underwriting team to meet annual goals; manages underwriting team; conducts annual performance reviews of direct reports; guides work of others who perform essentially the same work; model skills and behaviors desired in staff members.
WKAR is a division of the College of Communication Arts & Sciences at Michigan State University. It includes WKAR-TV, WKAR AM and FM, WKAR.org, the Radio Reading Service, and WKAR Ready-To-Learn, and reaches more than a half-million mid-Michigan residents each week, and contributes to the educational experience of Michigan State University's 50,000-plus student body.
Application deadline is May 16, 2019. Qualified applicants can apply online by visiting careers.msu.edu and refer to job posting #571671.
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.