© 2022 Michigan State University Board of Trustees
Public Media from Michigan State University
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
WKAR News

Lansing Ignite Soccer Team Ceases Operations

Marshall Hollingsworth photo
Lansing Ignite
/
Last week, player Marshall Hollingsworth said the team had been informed of the decision to shut the Ignite down after one season.

After a week of speculation, the Lansing Ignite professional soccer team has announced that it will cease operations, effective immediately.

In a statement issued on Twitter, Ignite’s leadership says they did not believe there was “a viable path forward due to numerous economic factors.”

Owner Tom Dickson says in the statement that the team “left no stone unturned” looking for ways to continue beyond 2019.

Lansing Mayor Andy Schor expressed disappointment in a news release, saying the city had worked hard with management, the stadium and other stakeholders to build the team.

Last Monday, Ignite player Marshall Hollingsworth said on social media that players had been told of the team’s demise at a meeting with club president Nick Greuser and general manager Jeremy Sampson. Team officials had declined to confirm the news until today.

Related Content
News from WKAR will never be behind a paywall. Ever. We need your help to keep our coverage free for everyone. Please consider supporting the news you rely on with a donation today. You can support our journalism for as little as $5. Every contribution, no matter the size, propels our vital coverage. Thank you.