WKAR Earns 2020 TV Station of the Year and Multiple Radio and TV Awards
WKAR wins 9 Best in Category, 6 Merit, and TV Station of the Year awards at MAB Broadcast Excellence Awards.
EAST LANSING, Mich., March 26, 2021 -- WKAR was named Michigan Public Television Station of the Year for 2020 by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters.
The public media station serving Michigan’s capital region also won numerous radio and television awards, including 9 Best in category awards and 6 Merit awards.
This year marks the ninth time in ten years that WKAR has been named Public TV Station of the year.
In the Public Television division, the WKAR Best in Category awards are:
- Community Involvement: WKAR Community Involvement
- Independent Producer: Food Over 50
- Marketing Materials & Promos: COVID Diaries: On the Front Line Promo
- News or Public Affairs Special: Off the Record
- News Special or Documentary: COVID Diaries: On the Front Line
- Station of the Year Category: 2020 Station of the Year WKAR-TV
The TV Merit awards are:
- Cultural Programming: Backstage Pass - Tunde
- Marketing Materials & Promos: WKAR Sizzle Reel
- News Special or Documentary: An Evening with Madeleine Albright
In Public Radio Group One, the WKAR Best in Category awards are:
- Feature/Use of Medium: MSU Composer Says Latin Grammy Nominated Project Points Out That Diversity Is An Elusive Construct
- Special Interest & Cultural Programming: Michigan Minutes
- Use of New Media: WKAR - Public Radio Music Day
The Radio Merit awards are:
- Hard News & Current Events Story: Human Trafficking In Michigan: Turning Stigma Into Salvation
- Mini-Documentary or Series: Black Lives Matter Lansing Protests
- Station of the Year Category: WKAR-FM- News That Matters, Music That Inspires
WKAR Public Media is a division of the College of Communication Arts and Sciences at Michigan State University. WKAR provides Michigan’s capital region and the global community with award-winning original programming and the best from PBS and NPR via television channels WKAR-HD, WKAR World, WKAR Create and WKAR PBS Kids; and radio broadcasts at 90.5 FM, 105.1 FM/AM 870 and WKAR Radio Reading Service.
At wkar.org and video.wkar.org, the network offers live audio streaming, plus local news features, TV original full episodes and the best from NPR and PBS on-demand. WKAR provides additional community outreach with WKAR Ready to Learn Service and PBS LearningMedia. WKAR is funded in large part by community viewer and listener contributions with additional support from Michigan State University and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.